Web UI for NPF
Jan Danielsson
2014-08-02 16:36:20 UTC
Hello,

http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/npf_web_ui/

Is anyone working on this?
--
Kind Regards,
Jan
matthew sporleder
2014-08-02 16:44:02 UTC
On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Jan Danielsson
Post by Jan Danielsson
Hello,
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/npf_web_ui/
Is anyone working on this?
--
Kind Regards,
Jan
I haven't heard of anything. Give it a try. (remember npf is new and
always in flux!)
Mindaugas Rasiukevicius
2014-08-02 16:47:21 UTC
Post by Jan Danielsson
Hello,
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/npf_web_ui/
Is anyone working on this?
Not as far as I know.
Mindaugas
Christian Koch
2014-08-02 19:31:53 UTC
Post by Jan Danielsson
Hello,
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/npf_web_ui/
Is anyone working on this?
Yes, I have taken a stab at this project.

I decided that this web app should work from a base NetBSD installation -- that
means Lua and bozohttpd. (Or a web app written in C!) I've written some Lua
libraries to facilitate this, but I haven't had much time to actually crack down
on it for a while.

http://netbsdfr.org/?p=2841 (en fran�ais)
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2014/01/13/msg008394.html
http://christianfkoch/code/molokai/index.html

The "Cadet" code is the most interesting part. In fact, I'm on my way to
reviving Cadet and making it better.

I've also written some prototypes in Ruby... there's not much to look at, but
I'd be willing to share it with you. *AND* I've taken a stab at making Lua
bindings for npf(3).

All this code is hanging around somewhere on my laptop, let me know if you want
to see it and I'll dig it out for you.

-Christian
Jan Danielsson
2014-08-02 22:37:07 UTC
Jan Danielsson
2014-08-03 14:13:30 UTC
Jan Danielsson
2014-08-03 14:34:47 UTC
On 02/08/14 21:31, Christian Koch wrote:

Third try. Just noticed that Thunderbird thinks that Christian's
posts are using an "unknown" 8-bit encoding. Apparently rather than to
inform me in a way which was clear and obvious, it instead sent out
empty emails. Quite a fantastic feature, I must say.
Post by Christian Koch
Post by Jan Danielsson
Hello,
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/npf_web_ui/
Is anyone working on this?
Yes, I have taken a stab at this project.
I noticed that after I sent the original message, and I was about to
mail you when I say your reply.
Post by Christian Koch
I decided that this web app should work from a base NetBSD installation -- that
means Lua and bozohttpd. (Or a web app written in C!) I've written some Lua
libraries to facilitate this, but I haven't had much time to actually crack down
on it for a while.
This is very much in line with what I was thinking; making something
which will run from base, without any dependencies on pkgsrc, for the
basic/core functionality.

[---]
Post by Christian Koch
The "Cadet" code is the most interesting part. In fact, I'm on my way to
reviving Cadet and making it better.
I've also written some prototypes in Ruby... there's not much to look at, but
I'd be willing to share it with you. *AND* I've taken a stab at making Lua
bindings for npf(3).
All this code is hanging around somewhere on my laptop, let me know if you want
to see it and I'll dig it out for you.
I am definitely interested.
--
Kind Regards,
Jan
Mindaugas Rasiukevicius
2014-08-03 15:26:45 UTC
Post by Jan Danielsson
Post by Christian Koch
I decided that this web app should work from a base NetBSD installation
-- that means Lua and bozohttpd. (Or a web app written in C!) I've
written some Lua libraries to facilitate this, but I haven't had much
time to actually crack down on it for a while.
This is very much in line with what I was thinking; making something
which will run from base, without any dependencies on pkgsrc, for the
basic/core functionality.
Just FYI: it does not have to be base-only components. As long as the
application does not get bloated.
Mindaugas
Lourival Vieira Neto
2014-08-04 19:36:45 UTC
On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius
Post by Mindaugas Rasiukevicius
Post by Jan Danielsson
Post by Christian Koch
I decided that this web app should work from a base NetBSD installation
-- that means Lua and bozohttpd. (Or a web app written in C!) I've
written some Lua libraries to facilitate this, but I haven't had much
time to actually crack down on it for a while.
This is very much in line with what I was thinking; making something
which will run from base, without any dependencies on pkgsrc, for the
basic/core functionality.
Just FYI: it does not have to be base-only components. As long as the
application does not get bloated.
BTW, KeplerProject.org looks like a good and non-bloated option of web
"batteries" for Lua =). Also, I'm working on NPF-Lua kernel module,
which provides support to inspect packets using Lua. (I'll present it
on EuroBSDCon 14 [1]). If you want to coordinate efforts to integrate
NPF and Lua, I'm in!

[1] http://2014.eurobsdcon.org/talks-and-schedule/

Regards,
Lourival Vieira Neto
Aaron B.
2014-08-04 20:07:18 UTC
On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 16:36:45 -0300
Post by Lourival Vieira Neto
BTW, KeplerProject.org looks like a good and non-bloated option of web
"batteries" for Lua =).
As someone who uses components from the Kepler Project almost daily, it
is - and it isn't.

Most of the non-bloat comes from the fact that a lot of features one
expects from more mature frameworks are missing (session handling
immediately comes to mind); maintenance has been lacking but starting
to pick up again recently.

That being said, I would suggest using the WSAPI web server to
application interface. This would let you use (for example) Xavante for
now and then easily move the application to another server later.
Xavante should be a decent fit for this application - something used on
occasion by only a handful of users.
Aaron B. <***@zadzmo.org>
Jan Danielsson
2014-08-03 14:15:03 UTC
On 02/08/14 18:36, Jan Danielsson wrote:
[---]

Umm... Test? Empty mail?
--
Kind Regards,